Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Storybook Favorites

#1: Nighttime Nagas

    I have always loved bedtime stories. From the time when I was young and my father told me stories of pixies to nowadays, when I listed to audiobooks as I fall asleep. Therefore, as soon as I saw the title of this blog, I knew I had to click and see more. I was not disappointed! From the intro which reminded me of many occasions when I too refused to go to bed without a story to the tales themselves, I was hooked! My favorite among them was that of "Parikshit and the Curse." I have always liked moral-based stories, and the pacifist nature of this one was something I could whole-heartedly get behind!

#2: When Love Confesses

    I really enjoyed this telling of the story. Not only did the author have a distinctive voice, but I though the choice to have Sita speak directly to her heart rather than the gods (as was the case in the original story) was an interesting twist. It seems to give her a degree more control over the "love-at-first-sight" scenario in which she finds herself, which I appreciated, as I have always found that trope to be frankly dull. It is so much more interesting when people have free will! 

(Rama with Sita. Source: Something to Do)


#3: Horses Divine

    I have to admit, my interest in these stories was spurred by my own recent consumption of fantasy television (a somewhat unfortunate byproduct of having entirely too much time off...). While watching dashing heroes galloping through fields, I have often found myself thinking "that poor horse must be getting quite a workout!" As such, seeing this post give some credit to to the valiant steeds of myths was both amusing and comforting that I was not the only one to have had such thoughts! I liked the use of a storyteller in the tale of "Hayagriva the Restorer" (I might consider doing the same in my own story). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...