Sunday, February 14, 2021

Feedback Strategies

 Article #1: How to Provide Feedback When You're Not in Charge

    I think that there were a lot of good points in this article. In many of the relationships that we will have (either personal or professional), we will not necessarily be "in control," but it will still be important to give and receive feedback well. I thought that what they said about giving specific praise to motivate a particular behavior and teaching feedback though action (accepting feedback yourself and demonstrating the actions you want to see) were especially good suggestions. 

Article #2: How to Give Negative Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk

    This is the real question, isn't it? Somehow, the golden standard is being able to give feedback and have the people still like you afterwards. I thought this post brought u two really good points. First the concept of taking yourself off of a pedestal was perhaps most important. It is easy to fell prey to self-serving bias and fundamental attribution error in assuming that, essentially, we are perfect and others aren't. Being able to acknowledge that (surprise, surprise) this isn't that case is the first step in not sounding condescending and alienating. I also though that explaining the "why" behind the feedback was important- a true understanding of the problem is (in my opinion) the only real way to fix it. 

Thoughts on Feedback Strategies in General:

    One of the constant themes that I noticed in a lot of the articles was that praise (if done incorrectly) is not actually valuable. As a performer, I can totally identify with this. General praise doesn't actually help all the time. I value specific praise (what in particular I should try to re-create) and criticism. This criticism, however, has to include a "how to fix it." If only told that something was not done well, this isn't helpful. Being given suggestions on how it might be possible to do it better, however, is extremely valuable. 

(How NOT to Give Negative Feedback. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...