Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Reading Notes: Narayan's Ramayana, Part D

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana. Story: "Interlude/Coronation" (Again, the link is for web research of the story, I am reading from a paper book)

Notes: When I was reading through the Interlude, I was REALLY angry with Rama. There seems to be a common theme in the Ramayana (at least Narayan's version), of victim blaming and mistrust. When tragedy befalls women, they are not welcomed back with open arms. Instead they are viewed as "impure," even if they have literally been kidnapped, tortured, or raped. Truly, its enough to make just about any woman's blood boil. 

           I was somewhat placated that the "Coronation" section of the book started off with the gods acknowledging Rama's hypocrisy. They, at least, recognized that Rama had changed. If not changed, then at least had changed his morals completely when it came to himself. I was fully expecting some sort of scene in which the gods talked to him about this change, but I was disappointed. Perhaps this is again an issue of severe abbreviation, but I thought this would be an area in which I could elaborate with a story of my own. 

           I don't really know what might cause someone to have such a reversal of character. Maybe earlier life experience that would cause such mistrust? What is the story about Rama's mother? If she were to have had an affair, this might be the reason that Rama would have one set of morals for others, but that when it comes to himself he would not be objective. Then there is the question of what the gods might say to deal with this. Perhaps they could arrange for some kind of meeting with his mother in which she were to explain the reason behind her infidelity. While I don't condone the act, I can easily come up with reasons why it might be easily explained and reasonable. Perhaps Rama hearing this might cause him to rethink his morals when it comes to Sita. 

(The Marriage of Rama and Sita. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...