Thursday, January 28, 2021

Growth Mindset

     I just recently finished taking my MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test), which is likely to be the hardest test of my life. Whew! During my preparations for the exam, I read a lot about this "power of yet," and how is something was not going well in my studies I should not let myself get put down, rather think that I had just not gotten there....yet! 

    During studies, I think that this concept is very real and very helpful, and likewise think that it would be an admirable concept to incorporate into the overall educational system. However, unless major overhauls are made, I just cannot see it happening. Although the "yet" concept was good for preparations, at the end of the day it remains that what matters is not how much effort I put in, nor how hard I tried, but what grade I make on the test. And, since the test is graded on a curve, it does not even solely matter how well I personally did, but how well the others taking the test did as well. Although she speaks about making challenge the new comfort zone, how can we expect students to feel comfortable when so many huge life events are based almost solely on number and letter grades. Therefore, I think that the concept of practically implementing the Growth Mindset ideals into the educational system is somewhat like implemental universal healthcare in the United States, fundamentally simple if only we could convince everyone to actually do it. 

    I think that incorporating the growth mindset into my personal studies is a great practice, and one that I fully intend to continue incorporating this semester. One of my personal goals is to let the concept that everything needs to be done to perfection have slightly less dominion over me. Sometimes good enough is truly just that. 

(Live long and Prosper. Source: Teachers Pay Teachers)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...