Sunday, February 21, 2021

Storybook Plan

Resources: VedicFeedWikipediaWisdomLibMasterchefs of LoreRecipe for Aviyal, paper copy of the Mahabharata as re-told by William Buck, Scroll, Bheem Ka Laddu Recipe, Times of India

Stories:

(these are the same stories as in the previous storybook post, but I have gone though and done more research on the foods that could be paired with each story)

1. Entering the Court at Virata. 

    While I don't this this story has a specific recipe to go with it, I could pair it with a recipe for pistaudana (rice with minced meat), which is a food referenced at other points in the Mahabharata. I chose this recipe in particular since it seems to have been reserved for Brahmins, and since the Pandava are entering a royal court, this seems fitting!

2. Bhima Fighting Jimuta. 

    This is one of Bhima's primary stories in the Virata Parva (at least in the version that I have been reading). This could be paired with a recipe for Bheem Ka Laddu, a sweet that is mentioned in the Mahabharata as being the source of Bhima's strength. This would go well in a story in which he has to wrestle!

3. Creation of Aviyal. 

    This story from the Virata Parva already has mention of a food and also a sort-of recipe (amounts are not clarified- one of the ingredients in simply "a drumstick") in it! I think it would be fun to do a re-telling of this story and try to make aviyal myself! (I'm going to try to make versions of all of these recipes myself, but aviyal sounds especially tasty!)

Storytelling Thoughts: 

    The primary way that these stories will be connected will be with Bhima as the story teller. I think it will be interesting to also include stories from the Virata Parva in which he is not the primary character, but tell it from his perspective. There will be an element of overarching storyline in that all of the stories will be drawn from the Virata Parva. I would like to start the Storybook with the Pandava entering the court at Virata and have it end with them leaving. 

Main Ideas/Messages: 

    One of the primary reasons I chose to do the "cooking" Storybook instead of my other was that I realized I could talk about all of the other things that I found interesting within the context of Bhima's kitchen. I would like to talk about the concept of motherhood and what extremes mothers are willing to go to for their children, free will and whether or not characters have it, and the concept of villainy (does it even exist?). I hope the readers will be able to pick up on all of these messages while also being inspired to embark on some culinary adventures in their own kitchens!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...