Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Reading Notes: Public Domain Mahabharata, Part A

Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata. Story: Ekalavya

Notes: I have read and watched couple of different versions of the Mahabharata, and Ekalavya's story has just always rubbed me the wrong way. I know that the Mahabharata is sort of unique in that there are not really any "good guys" or "bad guys." This story, however, feels different from other cases in which people who fulfill more traditional protagonist roles do acts that are villainous in nature (such is the case when you learn Shakuni's backstory and it makes his actions much more understandable, though no less heinous). In this case, Arjuna and Drona just feel petty in their actions. Perhaps there is an understandable motive behind their asking for Ekalavyas's thumb, but I have to be honest, it would have to be a pretty darn good reason before I think that mutilating a young hardworking boy is ok in any sense. 

        I went and did some research online, but wasn't able to find anything that explained Drona's request. This might be a place to insert a story. I don't know, however, that I might possibly be able to spin that would take the acid out of my mouth. So perhaps the better route to go is to tell Ekalavya's story after he is asked to cut off his thumb. I am generally not one for revenge tales, so I think I would rather go the route of having him achieve victory some other way. Maybe he trains with his middle fingers until he is back up to par. He could then disguise himself and enter an archery competition against Arjuna and win. This would be a way of sticking it to Drona without actually resorting to violence (I am never a fan of answering violence with violence)- proving that no matter what Drona does, hard work and dedication will always win out. 

(Bow and Arrow. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...