Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Reading Notes, Public Domain Mahabharata, Part B

Bibliography: Public Domain Mahabharata. Story: Draupadi Lost/ Draupadi in the Assembly Hall

Notes: Whenever I have read or watched any version of the Mahabharata, I have always loved the story of Krishna coming to Draupadi's aid. Too often we see women being victimized (such as in Rama and Sita's story), and this is not so much the case here. I have always appreciated that Draupadi stands up for herself when she is gambled away- she does not just sit there and accept her fate (even though she is eventually forced into it anyway). I like this version of a female character who is able to kind of call the guys on their questionable actions (I don't really understand her forgiving Yudisthira so quickly, but I appreciate that she at least seems incensed by his gambling). 

        I was waiting for a new incarnation of this story in the Public Domain version, but have to admit that I was slightly disappointed when it kind of just glossed over it. I thought this presented an opportunity for a story! Given how much I already like it, I thought doing some research and expanding on it would be fun. 

         I liked that the "Draupadi Lost" story was written in verse- somehow, things written in poetry have always carried more dramatic weight for me. I thought that I might continue that trend with my version of the story. I also wonder how Draupadi and Krishna's story continues (if it does). Although this is not the first time that a god comes to the rescue of a mis-treated woman (again Sita's story), this time feels different because Draupadi feels more in charge of her own narrative. What must have been going through Draupadi's mind as she is forced to face the court with threat of being stripped and who knows what else. How must she have then felt that Krisha was the one to come to her aid and not one of her so-called devoted husbands?

(Draupadi under Krishna's care. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...