Thursday, April 15, 2021

Reading Notes, Babbitt Jataka Tales: The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking

Bibliography: Babbitt Jataka Tales. Story: The Turtle Who Couldn't Stop Talking

Notes: I think I might have heard this story before! I tried to google it to see if an iteration of it also existed as an Aesop fable (I know that a lot of folk tales have a lot of overlap), but I didn't find anything. Maybe I have heard the Jataka tales before and I just haven't known what I was listening to. 

        I am someone who is both quite opinionated and is not afraid to express those opinions. I have found that this can be both a blessing and a curse. While I think it is good to be outspoken and talk about those thing that you are passionate about, there have definitely been situations in which I have found that I think things would have been better off if I had just kept my mouth shut. I think that the turtle in this story can definitely relate.... 

        I think it is a valuable skill to know when to talk- when to make the choice to engage in a conversation or not to and knowing what battles you want to fight and what hills you want to die on. Frankly, if you choose to talk all the time about the things that you feel passionately about, not only is it likely annoying to others, but it is also just exhausting. 

        In a society so fraught with all different kinds of turmoil, I think that the story of the turtle could definitely be relevant. Sometimes not talking about the things that are causing this turmoil is actually the best way to get past it- to just exist in a pleasant manner with friends- to spend time together having fun rather than having conversations with a capital "c". I don't necessarily know that this is the story I will choose to write this week- I am feeling slightly more inspired by my Ganga reading notes, but it's an idea!

(Turtle. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...