Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Reading Notes, Ganga: The Divine Beauty

Bibliography: Random Comic Book. Story: Ganga: The Divine Beauty

Notes: I have never been a big reader of comic books, but for the sake of pushing myself out of my comfort zone, I decided to go with it! I flipped though a couple of the random comic book suggestions (I don't know if that defeats the purpose of random, but here we are) until I found one about Ganga. I have always wanted to lean more about the mythology behind Ganga, so this was perfect! I actually have had the absolute honor to go with my family to Varanasi and see Ganga herself! 

           I actually thought that it might be interesting to, instead of doing a re-telling of the story that was outlined in the comic, explore some of the characteristics of Ganga. She is known to purify, and I know that actually one of the big problems with the River Ganga is that there is a lot of pollution from the Manikarnika Ghats and from people putting other things into the River Ganga to get purified. I think that this irony is something that could be explored in a story. 

            I have always really enjoyed reading the works of Neil Gaiman, and I especially liked his book "American Gods". I think that the concept that he explores in that book of thinking about what deities might be like if they were a part of our society- essentially if they had immigrated and developed along with all of the people who worship them. I think that a similar concept to this could be explored with Ganga. How has the goddess who purifies changed after years and years of pollution? What does she think about people worshipping her somewhat ironically by polluting her? I think that all of these questions and thoughts of Ganga's would be the basis of a pretty interesting story. 

(Ganga. Source: Wikimedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...