Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Reading Notes, Babbitt More Jataka Tales, Part A

Bibliography: Babbitt More Jataka Tales. Story: The Girl Monkey and the String of Pearls

Notes: I decided to keep going with the Jataka tales instead of moving on with the stories about Krishna because I was getting distinct Aesop's Fables vibes and I just really love those (I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia- my dad used to read them to me as bedtime stories). 

        Of the stories in part A of the "More Jataka Tales", I thought that a lot of them were somewhat strange in that they seemed like they were set up to have a moral, but then stopped just before telling the audience what that moral actually was supposed to be. This was one of the few stories that I though had an actually deducible moral. From what I could understand, there were a couple of different morals in this one: greed, showing off, ingenuity, and thanking the brains behind the operation. Now, while I think it could be interesting to create a moral for a story that does not (at least at surface level) have one (maybe fodder for the next reading notes?), I was also just more drawn to this story than the other ones, so here we are!

        This story does not have as many side characters that need their own narrative (like many of the Rama and Sita stories), nor does it have elements of the plot that I think need re-analysis (like the Wise and the Foolish Merchant story), so I think this story has the potential to do a re-telling, but in a different setting. This is not something that I have done before, so it ought to be a new experience! I am currently taking a film noir class, so I am feeling inspired by this: perhaps the soldier could be the PI hired to solve the case of the missing pearls....

(Private Eye. Source: Pixabay)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...