Thursday, April 1, 2021

Week 10 Story: The Wise and the Young Merchant

    One fine day under the beating desert sun, a group of merchants gathered in the town square. Among them were two merchants who were going to be traveling the same path and selling the same goods. One of them was old and wise, and the other was young and had just begun to work as a merchant. When the young man heard that they would be travelling the same road, he immediately thought that it would be prudent to go first. That way his cows could feed on grass that had not yet been eaten and he could set the prices for his goods in the towns. As he was hurriedly packing his bags to leave, the old man approached him. 

    "Let us travel together." he said. "I know the way across the desert. These many years of travelling have taught me where the watering holes are and how to avoid the demons that would seek to carry you off! But my bones are growing weak and I could use your help in setting up camp and loading up my goods."

    "But what of the cattle and the grass they will eat? What of the prices of our goods in the town?" replied the young man. 

    "If you travel with me, I will show you where the best grazing fields are. Both our cattle will arrive at the town fat and well-rested. Then, if we discuss what would be a fair price for us both, we can sell our goods together. That way, one of us can work at the stall while the other goes out and shepherds people to the tent." said the old man.

    The young man pondered this offer, and decided to accept. Together, the young and the old man travelled across the desert. The old man knew not to trust a prince who cast no shadow, as it meant he was a demon. Once they had crossed the desert, the cattle feasted on fine, fresh grass in a hidden grove, the old man knew shortcuts to the town, and working together, there they sold all their goods. 

    Many years later, the young man's wagon was full with jewels, silks, and other finery to sell. Yet his bones had now begun to creak and he was no longer spry enough to load his own wagon or shepherd his own clients. But he had grown wise in the paths through the desert and how to cross it safely, and one day he met a young man one fine day under a beating desert sun. They were going to travel the same path and sell their goods in the same town. 

    "Let us travel together." he said. "I have been taught the way across the desert. I know where the watering holes are and how to avoid the demons that would seek to carry you off! But my bones are growing weak and I could use your help in setting up camp and loading up my goods."

    The young man looked at him and pondered his offer...

(Merchants. Source: Picryl)

Bibliography: Babbitt Jataka Tales. Story: The Wise and Foolish Merchant

Author's Note: When reading the story "the Wise and the Foolish Merchant", I actually viewed the "wise" merchant as the real antagonist of the story. While I understand that the story is trying to say that sometimes going first is not always better (and the point must also be made that the "foolish" merchant is trying to pull one over on the "wise" merchant), the "wise" merchant knew exactly what was going to happen to the "foolish" one, meaning that he willfully lets him have a terrible trip (though I don't necessarily know that I can make the claim that the "wise" merchant knew that the "foolish" one was going to be carried off my demons). The "wise" merchant then steals the wagons and the goods from the "foolish" one! What a jerk! As it stands, I viewed the moral of this story to be "it is OK to lie, exploit, and steal (and perhaps also send people to their deaths) for your own gain". I wanted to do a retelling of this story in which the moral reads "lying, stealing, and exploiting may get you riches in the short term, but working together and helping those around you will lead to even greater riches". I think this is a much more powerful moral. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maya!
    When I first started reading your story, I was getting very tortoise and hare vibes (I have not read this tale, so I did not know what to expect). But as your story continued, I realized that the competition aspect I was expecting was not there, and I was pleasantly surprised. I loved that you ended your story with how it began; showing kindness to others is a continuous cycle. I will admit, when I started the story, I was skeptical of the old man. Then, he turned out to be genuine, and then I read the author's notes and learned my skepticism was not unwarranted. Though I have not read the original, I think I will like your version better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maya! Great job on your story. I also hadn't read the original tale, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I honestly thought the young merchant was going to betray the older one somehow, but I like that you made it about kindness and helping others. I also love stories that end full-circle, so I'm glad you made that decision here, it works well.

    ReplyDelete

Week 14 Lab: Advice to Writers

 Advice to Writers      One of the reasons that I was initially drawn to this class was that I wanted to get more into writing. Now that I h...